Thursday, March 17, 2011

Persepolis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808417/





"99.99% of the people have voted democratically... for the Islamic Republic."
"It's normal, every revolution has a period of transition.
Half the country is illiterate.
Only nationalism and religion can unite people."


"Under our new government, we no longer have political prisoners.
- Madam?
We have paid a high price for our liberty.
- Ma'am?
What now, Satrapi?
- My uncle was jailed by the Shah, but the new regime had him shot.
- We have gone from 3,000 prisoners under the Shah... to 300,000 with you.
- How dare you lie to us like this?"


"Who was it?
- The Principal. Marji told her teacher off.
Again?
- Just like her uncle.
What? you want her to end up like him? Executed?
You know what they do to young girls?
You know what they did not Niloufar?
It's illegal to kill a virgin, so a guard married her...
... and took her virginity first!
You know what that means?
If they touch you, I'll kill them!"



"(Grandma) How come your breasts are so round at your age?
- I soak them in a bowl of iced water for ten minutes every day."


"... my chest developed.
my butt then restored my center of gravity."


"A revolution had carried off part of my family.
I had survived a war ...
...but a banal love story nearly killed me."


"The war is over. That's true.
But now it's almost worse.
People don't know why we had a war."


"Men all think their thing is irresistible...
...and that a divorcee won't refuse since she's not a virgin."


"The first marriage is practice for the second."

________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...